Quiche with leftover chicken? Really? Yes. Really.
We raise chicken's during the warmer months and so at the end of the season, our freezers (yes, we have many freezers. I think four to be exact) are full with farm fresh whole chickens. These chickens are amazing. And what I love about them is that I know exactly how they were raised and what they were fed. They are also given a whole lotta love especially from my daughter who loves to pick them up when they're chicks and give them cuddles. These chickens forage in a forest and are raised as naturally as possible. And because of how they are raised and their natural diet, they provide us with incredible meat (and even more incredible bone broth).
After they are prepared, we freeze them whole, which is great. But because they are large birds ranging from 7-12lbs (I know!), we always have leftovers. And trying to figure out what to do with those leftovers can be tricky... it's a good thing we like chicken right?!
This is how I came to make a quiche. It worked out perfectly and everyone loved it... well expect for my son who is incredibly picky right now especially at dinner time. Trying to get him to eat in the evening is almost (ALMOST) impossible.
This recipe is, as always, really simple and didn't take much time at all to make.
- 1/4 cup red pepper, diced
- 3/4 cup crimini mushrooms, diced
- 2 cups leftover chicken, cut into small cubes
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 10 farm fresh eggs
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup frozen greens
- Preheat the oven to 375 and line with parchment paper or grease with coconut oil a pie plate.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Melt 2 tbsp of coconut oil and add red pepper and mushrooms. Saute until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add chicken, oregano and garlic to the frying pan and mix together. Cook another 5 minutes until chicken is warmed. Turn off and set aside.
- In a large bowl, crack open the eggs and whisk. Add ingredients from frying pan and mix together. The add sea salt and frozen greens and mix one last time.
- Pour mixture into the pie plate and put in the oven
- Bake for 35 minutes. Remove and let sit for 10 before cutting into it and digging in!
I ate this quiche with a side of mixed baby greens and topped with my Turmeric Tahini Sauce. And after I took this picture, I poured the same sauce on top of the quiche! Yes, I love this sauce. Grab that recipe here.