Welcome 2018! And (un)welcome colds. After dodging colds and flus during the fall and early winter, we were greeted into the new year with a round of colds and coughs.
I gotta say, I'm actually ok with this. I believe it's important to work the immune system and at the same time support the immune system while it fights off whatever unwelcome germs have invaded the body. For kids, this is essential. The more exposure to germs and bacteria they have, while being supported to fight them off, the stronger their immune system will be.
The challenge with supporting kids while they are sick is getting nutrients into them. Seriously... so. challenging.
I mean, let's face it, when we as adults are sick, our appetites are off too and what we want can be things like... toast. Our eating habits when sick aren't stellar either but we also don't have people making us food. This makes a difference, BIG TIME.
But kids have the upper hand when it comes to feeling better. What is it? Parents! Yes, we have the ability to cook for them and nurse them back to health with nutrients. And by teaching kids how to care for their bodies when they're sick helps to create healthy habits for the future.
My top recipes for helping my kids to curb colds and flus (which they will actually eat!) is:
- Lemon Ginger Chicken Noodle Soup
- Immune Loving Pineapple Mango Green Juice
- Kick Being Sick Green Smoothie
- 5 Mushroom Blender Latte (My kids favourite!)
And then came these...
Of course my 3 year old asked for cookies when he was sick this past week, makes sense, I guess. I wanted to figure out a recipe that was going to satisfy his craving while also flood his body with nourishment. And thankfully, these did the trick! Phew!
What makes these cookies so fantastic are the secret ingredients: Camu camu, medicinal mushrooms and LOTS of protein. Read about the health benefits of camu camu here and here and the benefits of medicinal mushrooms here and here. As for protein, well it's all about how it repairs and offers it's nutrients to the body for building and strength. Cuz we need strength when getting over being sick.
These cookies have been such a success in my house that they haven't lasted 24 hours. So I would highly suggest doubling this recipe which would give approximate 24 cookies. Feel free to freeze them!
- 1 farm fresh large egg
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1.5 tsp camu camu powder
- 1.5 tsp 5 mushroom powder
- 1 tsp true cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the wet ingredients (first 4 ingredients listed) and whisk together. Add in remaining ingredients except carrots and mix until well combined.
- Finally add in carrots and mix in well making sure they are even distributed throughout batter.
- Scoop out about 1 heaping tbsp of batter and roll into a ball. The batter is sticky so prepare for your hands to get messy. After all balls are laid on the baking sheet, gently flatten them with your fingers.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes and let cool before removing from baking sheet.
What's your favourite healthy recipe to give to your kids when they're sick? Feel free to share in the comments!
*DISCLAIMER: THIS POST HAS AN AFFILIATE LINK WITH HARMONIC ARTS, BUT AS ALWAYS THE THOUGHTS AND OPINIONS ARE MY OWN. I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND A BRAND I DO NOT STAND BEHIND AND ONLY SHARE THOSE I HOPE YOU TOO WILL ENJOY. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND BEING A PART OF MORE LIFE'S GROWTH AND COMMUNITY.