Burger in a bowl. Yup, it's basically a deconstructed burger minus the bun. Simple, easy and perfect for summer BBQ season.
I have been eating burgers without a bun for almost two decades now. It first started when I became intolerant to gluten (which meant gluten free bread tasted like cardboard, so I passed). And then even when quality, yummy buns came on the market, I found that I had come to love eating a burger without a bun not just because of the flavor but because it made me feel better (less bloated and gassy).
And so deconstructed burgers in bowls became my thing.
When it comes to eating healthy, it's easy to get hung up on all the little details which ultimately get in the way of eating healthy. Let go of perfection and just enjoy food by making simple modifications, which over time, change how you feel and live.
This burger bowl can literally be created at any BBQ, whether the burger is homemade or not. When I created this burger bowl, the burger was not homemade (oh the horror!) and it was amazing. I will say this: whenever possible, chose burgers that meet these healthy requirements:
- no added hormones
- no antibiotics used on the animals
- gluten free
And make sure that all the ingredients can be pronounced and understood. If you can't pronounce it, don't eat it.
There's some simple guidelines I following when choosing how to nourish my body:
- How will this meal make me feel...
- Does this food/meal align with how I chose to live...
Although these aren't always simple questions to answer, and something we eat food that goes against how we hope to feel or live, cuz life (!), but the more respect and love I have for myself, the easier healthy choices become.
The premise of this bowl is to basically take everything you would put on a burger... and put it in a bowl. Feel free to add extra toppings of our choice.
- Handful of greens: I used chopped romaine, but spinach and baby greens would work too.
- Handful of oven root fries: recipe from my ebook, Daily Detox with Food.
- 1 burger, sliced into strips
- 1/2 an avocado
- sliced tomato
Lemon Dijon Dressing:
- 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup avocado oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Prepare burger and oven fries: I used potatoes and sweet potatoes
- Prepare dressing: In a bowl, add all ingredients and whisk together. Transfer into a mason jar. Cover and store in the fridge for 1 week.
- In a bowl, place greens at the bottom and then assemble the rest of the ingredients on top. Pour the dressing over top of everything!