As a busy mother who is also an entrepreneur, I NEED dinner to be uncomplicated. And although sometimes I have the time to prepare meals that take up to an hour to prepare, more often then not I don't.
Enter my Crock Pot.
I use my crock pot often for a few different reasons.
- It's easy to use. Throw ingredients in, turn on and leave.
- Saves time! This is key.
- Little clean up.
- It predigests your food. Why is this important? Well, given that we as busy being, always on the go, running after babes and trying to get stuff done, our digestion tends to be weaker. This means that you may often experience gas or bloating after a meal and that's simply because your meal isn't being broken down. And when you don't break down your food, it sits and ferments. This is why I love using the crock pot, it helps with pre-breaking down your food and making it easy on your digestion so you can absorb as many nutrients from your meal as possible.
I use my crock pot often through out the week, especially when I know activities or plans are made for the evening. So although this requires some planning, the benefits are huge. I mean, who doesn't want to leave the house for activities with a nourishing and full belly. I know I do. And so do my kids. Because it makes the whole evening run that much smoother.
I have made this recipe many times over the years. It's versatile, meaning you can eat it many different ways.
- Use in a gluten free wrap like my Zucchini Chickpea Wraps with your favourite toppings.
- Add on top of a salad with your favourite veggies.
- Put on top of root fries like the recipe found in my Daily Detox with Food ebook. This is the recipe I used in the picture shown. Making a large batch of root fries in advance can also be a time saver. Simply just reheat in a frying pan.
- 1-1.5 lb grass fed beef flank
- 2 organic bell peppers, red, orange or yellow, diced
- 3 cups crimini mushrooms, quartered or sliced
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic granules
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- In a small bowl, mix together all the seasonings.
- Place beef flank in the crock pot and cover the flank with seasoning on both sides.
- Put peppers and mushrooms on top of the seasoned flank and cover. Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 7.5 hours.
- Before removing flank from the crock pot, shred the beef using two forks, simply just pulling it apart.
All the seasonings used are kid friendly. Nothing spicy but definitely full of flavour making it a hit for the whole family.