Just in time for international love day: Valentine's Day.
I am all for celebrating. I love it and so do my kids. In fact, my daughter loves celebrating so much that she will plan her outfit the night before, laying it on her bed, wear special pj's to bed and be up ready to go at 3:00 am. Not kidding. She loves celebrating.
Part of the way we celebrate is with food. Oh glorious food. Nutritious and delicious glorious food.
As a health foodie lover and sugar free living advocate, one thing I am very aware of is that celebration often means an over load in sugar. It's no longer about having a small piece of cake and enjoying every bite. Now it's about candy, cookies, chocolates, ice cream, soda and juice. Not just some, but a lot. Now celebration equals sugar.
A celebration like this can easily translate to 100 grams (conservative approximate) of sugar.
But it doesn't have to. It also doesn't mean that you can't have totally amazing food that is satisfying.
Enter chocolate cupcakes with super creamy frosting.
- 5 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 3/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 1 cup oat flour (I made oat flour from rolled oats)
- 1 cup gluten free rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 400 and line muffin tray with liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash bananas. Add applesauce and mix until well combined.
- Add baking soda, baking powder and vanilla. Mix together.
- Add flour, oats and cacao and mix until into a batter, making sure there are no clumps.
- Pour into muffin tray and bake for 23-25 minutes. Over baking can remove the moisture.
- Remove from tray and allow to cool completely before frosting.
Strawberry Cashew Cream Frosting Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp non-alcoholic vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp raw honey (or pure maple syrup)
- 1/3 cup frozen strawberries
- 3/4 cup warm water for defrosting strawberries (reserve 3 tbsp of soaking water for blending)
- Place strawberries in a bowl and cover with warm water. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Strain soaking water into a bowl and place defrosted strawberries into a blender. Add remaining ingredients and 3 tablespoons of soaking water.
- Blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer to a bowl and put in the fridge for 20 minutes to chill.
- Spread the frosting on the cupcakes and devour.
Want to learn more about how to live sugar free and raise healthy eaters? Well, I have events planned not just in the Edmonton area, but also on the West Coast. That's right, Vancouver I'm coming to you this love month! Check out all the details and locations below.