Is it that time of year for you? Coughs, colds, flu, all making you bed ridden? Ugh, this is the time of year when we need to really support our bodies to help fight off all those germs and bacteria which want to take up residence in you and your children's body.
Germs: NOT WELCOME.
So far this year we have been lucky. A few runny noses, but nothing that has kept us at home. Can I get a hallelujah?! Part of the reason for this is I am consciously working to keep the bugs out. Everyday. I'm focusing on what nutrients we all need to keep our immune system strong and healthy.
I gotta admit, I love these challenges. It forces me to think out of the box and problem solve. Somethings work and somethings don't. Either way, it inspires me.
And for those of you who feel drained and exhausted by wondering what the heck to feed yourself and your kids, this is where I've got the nitty gritty figured out.
Let me start by saying that this juice is very green... but it's doesn't taste very green. It tastes tropical. Which is why it is perfect for kids of all ages (yes, that's for you adults too!). I have been giving this juice to my kids daily for several weeks now and they love it. Why? Because it's SO tasty!
This juice is actually a smoothie because you don't strain out any fiber. However, there isn't that much fiber anyways, so it ends up being more like a juice anyways, especially after it sits and the pineapple and mango thaws.
There are some essential nutrients that are required to support your immune system. And I have added them into this juice.
- Pineapple: contains bromelain, which is an enzyme that supports digestion. Happy digestion, healthy body.
- Mango: contains vitamin C
- Coconut water: rich in electrolytes and essential minerals. Make sure your coconut water contains nothing else but coconut water. Many brands contain natural flavours (what does that even mean?), preservatives, and sugar (which negative impacts immunity).
- Spirulina: rich is chlorophyll, vitamins, minerals, enzymes... this blue-green algae is a powerhouse of immune supporting nutrients. There's lots of amazing brands on the market. Harmonic Arts, TriPow and Organika are my go-tos.
- Camu camu: considered one of the richest and more abundant sources of vitamin C known on our plant. I love the one from Harmonic Arts.
- Zinc: A few drops of an ionic zinc liquid like this one (which is completely flavourless too!) and you are giving your body and immune system the ultimate boost, especially since most of us tend to be deficient in this essential mineral.
- Vitamin D: this is your garnish and an essential one at that. We need vitamin D as it protects our immune system and of overall health, especially for those living in northern regions getting a lot less sun.
You can have this drink any time really, but the most optimal time is first thing in the morning, before breakfast. This way it helps to prime digestion for the day which helps your body to absorb these essential nutrients. But like I said, if the morning doesn't work, any time is fine.
What I do is make it, pour the kids their portion and put the rest in the fridge. You can double this recipe and keep it in the fridge. It will keep for 4-5 days.
- 1 cup frozen pineapple
- 1/4 cup frozen mango
- 1 tsp spirulina
- 1 tsp camu camu powder
- 5 drops liquid zinc
- 3 drops liquid vitamin D, as garnish, on top of each juice
- Coconut water, enough to cover ingredients, plus a little extra.
- Add all ingredients to a high speed blender, expect vitamin D, and blend until smooth.
Kids size: 1/4-1/2 cup of juice, depending on their size. The smaller they are, give them a smaller portion.
Adults: 1 cup plus per day, listen to how much your body needs.
Curious about my top 10 super foods to use with kids? Check out my upcoming event to learn, taste and get inspired!
*DISCLAIMER: THIS POST HAS AN AFFILIATE LINK WITH HARMONIC ARTS, BUT AS ALWAYS THE THOUGHTS AND OPINIONS ARE MY OWN. I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND A BRAND I DO NOT STAND BEHIND AND ONLY SHARE THOSE I HOPE YOU TOO WILL ENJOY. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND BEING A PART OF MORE LIFE'S GROWTH AND COMMUNITY.