Here in Alberta, one minute the warm sun is shining and the next minute it's snowing. Unpredictable is an understatement. But it's not like this all year round, just 6 months out of the year (lol... I'm serious). This can really do a number on your body because you simply doesn't know what it's going to be outside. One minute you're chilled, the next you're sweating. It's quite the roller coaster experience.
This weather unpredictability creates a breeding ground for illness, especially if you're slacking on taking certain nutrients to boost your immune system like vitamin D, C, and Zinc, just to name a few.
Yesterday, as I laid on the couch feeling stuffed up with a heavy cloud hanging over my head, I decided to get to the blender to give my body a boost of immune boosting nutrients. And guess what, it helped. Today I can say my cold is almost gone which is a far cry from how I felt yesterday.
Although everything in this smoothie was added to promote a speedy recovery, the three main super foods, camu camu, spirulina and raw honey, steal the show.
Camu camu: this berry from the amazon rain forest is loaded with vitamin C. In fact, this super food is believed to contain the highest amounts of vitamin C to any other food on the planet. Pretty cool, right? Vitamin C is important in immune health which is what makes this berry so important, especially in times of illness and more importantly, prevention.
Spirulina: the health benefits of this blue-green algae are literally endless. It's one of the those super foods to take on a regular basis. But in the case of wanting to kick this cold, spirulina was important to add because it is high in protein, iron, trace minerals, vitamins, chlorophyll and it offers a gentle detoxification. Another important factor? It's nutrients are highly absorbable, which is important when you're under the weather.
Raw honey: rich in enzymes, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, has antibacterial and anti-fungal properties, loads of phytonutrients and helps to support digestion and immunity. This list goes on. Raw honey is definitely one to have in your medicine cabinet. As often as possible, buy raw honey from local farms and make sure bees eat their own honey, not sugar water, and are not given antibiotics. Local producers are usually up front about their practices with raising colony's of bees.
And although the smoothie helped, it wasn't the only factor in my quick recovery. Here are some ways to promote healing in the body:
- Get extra sleep... take naps, sleep in (if possible, not always possible if you're a parent).
- Rest. Don't over exert your body as it need to preserve its energy for healing.
- Drink lots of fluids: water, bone broth, green smoothies and immune boosting lattes.
- Consume easily digestible protein from slow cooked meats, greens and vegan protein powders.
- Avoid processed food and sugar as these feed illness rather than promoting healing.
- 2 cups frozen pineapple
- 1/2 cup frozen mango
- 1 ripe avocado, pit removed
- 2 handful leafy greens, fresh or frozen
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 1 tbsp camu camu powder (I used Harmonic Arts)
- 1 tsp spirulina (Great brands include Harmonic Arts, TriPow and Organika)
- 1 15 oz can full fat coconut milk
- 3/4 cup water
- Combine all ingredients into a high speed blender and blend on high until smooth and creamy. Add a little more water if necessary.
Note: If blender is weak, use fresh pineapple and mango for easier blending.
*DISCLAIMER: THIS POST HAS AN AFFILIATE LINK WITH HARMONIC ARTS, BUT AS ALWAYS THE THOUGHTS AND OPINIONS ARE MY OWN. I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND A BRAND I DO NOT STAND BEHIND AND ONLY SHARE THOSE I HOPE YOU TOO WILL ENJOY. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND BEING A PART OF MORE LIFE'S GROWTH AND COMMUNITY.