Oh good heavens! I kid you not, this 'cheese' is amazing! Seriously to die for. Mmmmmm.
I started making this cheese several years ago and I've shared it with many people. I always introduce it asking them to think of the 7-11 nacho cheese sauce, except this one is actually good for you. The reactions of others is always the best... 'wow, there's no cheese in there?!' or 'there's veggies in that?!' And my answer is always the same: I know, I love it!
I adapted the recipe from Pamela Salzman, who has some absolutely delicious dishes. I've used this sauce with so many dishes: nachos, pasta, on homemade pizza, as a dip for veggies, on burgers... it's really endless.
So be creative and dig in!
- 1 cup of potatoes, chopped, skin on
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup carrots, chopped
- 2 tbsp shallots, diced
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup cashews, soaked for 3 hours if blender is weak.
- 5 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 medium clove garlic
- 1/4 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- Add chopped veggies to a small pot with water. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium low heat and cook until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- In a blender, add the remaining ingredients as well as cooked vegetables with remaining water. Blend on high for about 1.5 minutes. Sauce should be thick and creamy.
- Stores up to a week in an airtight container... if it lasts that long!
It's lip smacking amazing!