Not only are these cupcakes delicious but they are also gluten free, dairy free and sugar free. Yes. It's true. And possible to make cupcakes without crap. And guess what? All 37 of them got eaten! Not just by me (I only had 2... maybe 3... and extra frosting, for sure extra frosting) but by kids and adults alike. They really do taste as good as they look.
Typically cupcakes are topped with decorative candies that just up the sugar load. So I opted for paper flowers that I found at Michaels. I think they were $3 for 24 flowers. Not too shabby! And they just made them look so beautiful. The girls thought they were pretty cool. Nobody seemed to mind that they couldn't eat them.
The frosting on these cupcakes has a secret ingredient that will kind of blow your mind: black beans. Yes, black beans. They are what make this frosting so creamy and smooth. I slightly adapted the recipe from Foods to Glow. The first time I made it, I was blown away with how delicious it was and I've been hooked ever since.
I know I say that a lot of my recipes are easy, but I only say it so often because it's true. And these ones are no different. Simple... almost too simple to taste as good as they do!
This cupcake recipe makes 12-15 cupcakes. I tripled this recipe to make enough for my daughter's sugar free birthday party.
Ingredients for chocolate cupcakes:
- 5 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 3/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 1.5 cups gluten free flour blend. I used Cuisine Soleil All Purpose Mix
- Preheat oven to 400 and line muffin tray with liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash bananas. Add applesauce and mix until well combined.
- Add baking soda, baking powder and vanilla. Mix together.
- Add flour and cacao and mix until into a batter, making sure there are no clumps.
- Pour into muffin tray and bake for 16-18 minutes. Over baking can remove the moisture.
- Remove from tray and allow to cool completely before frosting.
Ingredients for chocolate frosting:
This recipe makes enough, with a little extra, for a batch of cupcakes.
- 2/3 cup heaping black beans, cooked and rinsed
- 3 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 2.5 tbsp nut or seed butter. I've used sunflower seed and peanut pecan.
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla powder or extract
- 2 tsp warm water
- Add all ingredients to a high speed blender and blend for 2 minutes. Frosting should be thick and creamy.
- Keeps for up to 4 days in a sealed container.
I used a knife to frost my cupcakes, nothing fancy. I gently placed the flowers on top of the frosting, pressing enough to make sure they wouldn't fly off. Voila! Decadent sugar free chocolate cupcakes!
These cupcakes made my daughter's sugar free birthday that much sweeter.