Brownie Recipe with Black Beans


Raising children sugar free can seem like a daunting task... or maybe an impossible one. I am here to tell you that it is not. 

I have been given side-way stares when I pass on the lollipop being offered to one of my kids. I was recently asked by a stranger why my daughter couldn't have a lollipop. I simply told her that she doesn't eat sugar, it isn't good for her body but thank you anyways. She looked shocked. But not in a bad way, rather surprised by my response and happy to hear what I had to say. 

I believe we all know that sugar is bad for us, for our children. And maybe we even feel guilt giving or letting our children eat high sugar foods or candy but because we are surrounded by it, we sweep our feeling under the rug and just look away. We tell ourselves messages like "a little sugar isn't that harmful, right?" 

The problem today is that we are bombarded with sugar. It is in 80% of products in the grocery store. I'm assuming the remaining 20% is whole foods that come from nature. Start reading ingredients on products and you will find sugar in everything. So by giving children a lollipop from one stranger, and then another, and some more for lunch and the rest for dinner and that same scenario happens everyday, what is the end result? Poor health, hyperactivity, poor focus, unwanted behaviour, just to name a few. 

We are a refined sugar free home. My son, who is 18 months old has never had refined sugar. My daughter has had some in very small amounts in her 4.5 years. So how do I do it? First I really believe in the way we live and eat. So it's easy for me to make these decisions. But also, my kids are not deprived from eating delicious, yummy and sweet food.  Ever. Their diet is full, flavourful, satisfying and nutritious. 

Chocolate Brownies with Black Beans

These brownies are protein packed, rich in flavour, sweet and incredibly nourishing. 

  • 1 3/4 cups cooked black beans

  • 3 chia eggs (3 tbsp ground chia with 12 tbsp water)

  • 1/2 cup pure maple syrup

  • 2 tbsp coconut oil

  • 1 tsp vanilla powder

  • 1/2 cup raw cacao

  • 1 tsp baking powder

  • 1/4 sea salt

  • hemp hearts (optional)


  1. Preheat over at 350. Lightly oil a regular sized muffin tin tray.

  2. In a small bowl, mix together the ground chia and water. Set a side until gelatinous.

  3. In a food processor or high speed blender, add all the other ingredients (except hemp hearts) and blend on high for a few minutes. Add chia eggs to the food processor and continue blending until creamy and smooth.

  4. Pour batter evenly into the muffin tray and sprinkle the tops of each with hemp hearts (if using). Bake for 30 minutes.

  5. After 30 minutes, remove brownies from tray and allow to cool for another 30 minutes to an hour. For best result, cool in the fridge over night.

IMG_0353 (1).JPG

Living more life,