Let me first say that I didn't know you could have a chowder that didn't have seafood. I did not know this. My father used to always get clam chowder when we ate at restaurants so I just assumed that chowder = creamy seafood soup. Apparently there are other chowders! Hence, this recipe here.
Originally I wanted to make a creamy soup, but in the end it turned out differently. This is what I love about experimenting in the kitchen. Mistakes can create greatness (this is what I keep telling myself anyways). And this time greatness it was: a tummy warming, satisfying and delicious chowder that my whole family loved. Everyone, including my husband raved about this meal... and no, that doesn't always happen. But when it does, I share the recipe with all of you.
- 7 cups bone broth: recipe here
- 2 cups cooked or leftover chicken
- 2 cups cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium head of cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup brown rice/quinoa mix or just brown rice
- 2 tsp sea salt
- In a large pot, heat bone broth over medium heat. Add chicken, cabbage, cauliflower and garlic. Cover and let simmer for about 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk tapioca starch with one can of coconut milk. Add to pot with other can of coconut milk and rice/quinoa.
- Cover and simmer for 45 minutes - 1 hour until rice is cooked. Add sea salt and stir in.
And one last thing before you go! Have you grabbed my free e-book on how to make the most delicious and creaminess lattes you've ever had... minus dairy and sugar! All you need is a blender and I'll walk you through the rest. In this book you'll get recipes for a London Fog, Cafe Mocha, Chai Latte and Ginger Turmeric Latte (and more!).