After cooking a 35lb turkey, we sure do. Yes, I did write that correctly... 35 POUNDS of pure deliciousness. I didn't know how we would do it, but we did. Actually, my husband did because lets face it, I would not have been able to lift this sucker out of the oven. Cradling a hot turkey is a recipe for disaster.
So then comes leftovers. And thank goodness because I love turkey and I love leftovers.
First came turkey bone broth...
Then came Turkey Stroganoff.
If you're looking for comfort food, this is it. No word of a lie. AND, I whipped it up in no time at all. It's got everything you would look for in a stroganoff, even if you've never had stroganoff, but it's got creaminess and so much flavour without being too overwhelming. It was a home run in my house for sure.
- Turkey dripping or coconut oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1.5 cups crimini mushrooms
- 2 cloves of garlic, pressed or minced
- 1/2 cup turkey stock
- 2.5 cups of leftover turkey meat, chopped
- 1 cup canned full fat coconut milk
- 3/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- Sea salt to taste
- Over medium heat in a large frying pan, heat turkey drippings or coconut oil (about 2 tbsp, maybe more). Add onions and mushrooms and saute until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, herbs and turkey stock and mix together.
- Mix in turkey meat and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add in coconut milk and cook for 10 minutes, allowing all the flavours to come together.
- Season with sea salt to taste.
We put our stroganoff on top of gluten free penne, but it would also be amazing on top of quinoa, rice, roasted root vegetables, mashed potatoes or cauliflower.
What's your favourite leftover turkey recipe? I would love to know... because I need ideas ;) So if you feel like sharing, post in the comments below.