First I would like to apologize for this picture... it's clearly not the greatest. Living in the north means shorter days and longer nights. This is not ideal for taking pictures of food, YUMMY food. And sometimes I don't plan on photographing a meal, it just happens and so, well, so do pictures like this.
Well, now that's off my chest, let me sing some praise for this meal. I created this recipe a few months ago and have been making it often ever since. It came to be out of a craving for Indian food. Where I live, take out is quite pricey so I decided to create my own. It really worked in my favour too... which doesn't always happen! Not only did I love it, but so did my family.
Although this recipe is dairy free, which traditional butter chicken is not, it is really creamy. That is thanks to both the coconut milk and cashews. They work harmoniously to create a rich creamy flavour and texture. And as always, this dish is extremely nourishing, especially because of the turmeric, which is a rich and powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory.
This meal feeds four hungry people, with possible leftovers!
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 inch nob of fresh ginger
- 3/4 cup diced tomatoes
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cups chicken, chopped
- I medium head of cauliflower, chopped
- 4-5 tbsp coconut oil
- sea salt
Directions: Roasted Cauliflower
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Chop cauliflower into bite sized pieces and place on baking sheet. Scoop out coconut oil and put on top of cauliflower (see picture below). Place in oven. After 10 minutes, remove and stir the cauliflower, making sure that every piece is coated in oil. Place back in oven and bake for 40 minutes.
Directions: Butter Chicken
- Heat a dutch oven style pot at medium heat with 1 tbsp of coconut oil. Add diced onions and cook until slightly brown, about 10 minutes.
- While onions are cooking, place remaining ingredients, except chicken, in a high speed blender. Blend on high until creamy, about 1 minute.
- Add chicken to pot and coat with onions. Add sauce and stir, making sure the chicken is fully coated. Cover and reduce to low simmer until cauliflower is cooked, about 30 minutes.
Serve butter chicken with cauliflower and voila! Dinner is complete! Enjoy.
Living more life,