I can say honestly, that I eat chia pudding almost everyday for breakfast. I crave it if I don't eat it one day or if I had a sleepless night with my little one. It sustains my energy all morning which is a challenge for me as I am always on the go. But it's not just the chia pudding that sustains me, it's everything else I add to it. My bowls are big and full of super food goodness, but more on that later.
You've probably heard of chia seeds before, they tend to be all the rage right now and for good reason. Second to flax seeds they are the highest plant source of omega 3 fatty acids. They are also a great source of protein, calcium, manganese, magnesium and phosphorus. They are rich in antioxidants, help relieve constipation, help to reduce stress and can even help to relieve sleeplessness.
Back to super food goodness. Although chia seeds are a great source of protein, when I eat just plain chia pudding with nothing added, my blood sugar doesn't stay balanced for as long. This is when I started adding seed butters. And then came the fruit. Then the raw honey and finally the pollen (can be bee pollen or flower pollen). There you have it, one powerhouse bowl of life giving nutrients that nourish and sustain my mind and body.
And so, here are the ingredients for my powerhouse chia pudding:
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 3/4 cups non-dairy milk (I used homemade hemp mylk)
- 1-2 tbsp nut or seed butter of choice
- 1/2 cup fruit of choice
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 1 tsp bee pollen or flower pollen (look under plant kingdom for options)
1. Add chia seeds and mylk of choice to a bowl. With a fork, whisk the chia seeds and mylk together for about 3 minutes or until you see the chia seeds start to absorb the liquid.
2. Set aside for 15 minutes until liquid is absorbed and it has become gelatinous.
3. Finally, add all the fixins. Either mix together or make your own perfect spoonfuls with each bite.
Note: These puddings can be put together the night before in a mason jar or glass container for a quick and easy breakfast in the morning.