Everyone in our family loves chicken. In fact, whenever I cook chicken I get big cheers from the big and little people. And what gets even more screams of joy is when there is leftovers. So my daughter and I got to work this morning, (well not really as it's the easiest recipe to make really), and made this chicken salad.
The ingredients I chose for this salad was completely dependent on what I had in the fridge. So really it's easy to change it up depending on what you have in your fridge. I put the basic measurements, but feel free to change based on your palate.
For the dressing I used Earth Island Pesto Veganaise, which is an alternative to conventional mayo made with eggs. I developed an allergy to eggs when my daughter was an infant and I haven't been able to tolerate them since. I'm usually one to make my own dressing but sometimes it's fun (and easier) to just use what's out there. A little less fuss, you know? This Veganaise is also vegan, gluten-dairy-soy free and doesn't contain any GMO. So really, it's ok in my books! Oh and my kids loved it.
So here is the quick and super easy (and tasty) ingredients to this chicken salad:
- 2 cups cooked organic chicken, cubed
- 2 small carrots, grated
- 1/2 cucumber, thinly sliced and diced
- 1 large pickle, diced
- 6 or more kalamata olives, pit removed and diced
- 1/3 cup Earth Island Pesto Veganaise
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
1. Add chicken, carrots, cucumber, pickle and olives to a large bowl.
2. Add veganaise and toss until well coated. Add salt and pepper.
3. That's it! I added my salad on a bed of greens with sliced tomato. Avocado would also be delicious here as well. This salad would also be fantastic in a wrap.
4. Store in an air tight container for 3-4 days. But really, it's likely not going to last that long.
Living more life,