The first time I made this bread was about 2 months ago. Ever since then, I have become hooked. I mean, I cannot go long without having this bread in my house. It is the perfect addition to breakfast or lunch and it is the perfect snack.
I first found this recipe from Oh She Glows who was making the original recipe from YumUniverse. I followed the exact break down from Oh She Glows and made it with the exact ingredients. It was delicious! and easy! However, me and nuts don't really like each other. Don't get me wrong, I like nuts, but nuts don't like me. And being a nursing mama, they make my baby's skin react. So I decided to develop my own version, which I love.
This bread is so nourishing and nutrient dense that one slice can satisfy all your senses. Here's a little breakdown of how much punch this bread has:
- Oats: have a calming effect and thus help our bodies better deal with stress. They support our nervous system, digestive system and are high in protein.
- Sesame Seeds: great source of calcium, vitamin E, high in healthy fats and are an excellent antioxidant. They are good for the bowels and help with lactation.
- Pumpkin Seeds: high in protein, omega 3 and are an excellent source of iron, zinc, phosphorus and vitamin A.
- Buckwheat: excellent for blood sugar balancing and is of course, 100% gluten free. Very high in calcium and has a very high proportion of all 8 amino acids.
- Sunflower Seeds: did you know that these bad boys contain more protein than beef?! They are also a good source of calcium, phosphorus, iron, vitamin E and some B vitamins.
- Poppy Seeds: these little gems are amazing for our nervous system, giving a calming and sedative effect.
- Chia Seeds: high is omega 3, great for relieving constipation, supporting the nervous system and helping with insomnia.
- Hemp Hearts: these beauties are highly digestible making the protein readily available. They are also high in omega 3 and are an excellent anti-inflammatory.
- Nutritional Yeast: Rich in B vitamins and protein.
- Psyllium Husk: excellent for cleaning out the bowels!
I like easy recipes and this is easy. The most challenging part of making this bread is getting and/or finding all the ingredients. A health food store will likely have everything you're looking for. The other challenging part is waiting...
I like this bread the best toasted with a thick layer of coconut oil. Mashed avocado is equally delicious.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup buckwheat groats
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 tbsp psyllium husks
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 cups water
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and add oats, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, buckwheat groats and sunflower seeds. Bake for 8 minutes.
- While seeds and oats are baking, combine the remaining ingredients (minus the coconut oil and water) in a large mixing bowl. Mix well making sure all ingredients are well combined.
- Once seeds and oats are finished, add them to the mixture. Mix well.
- Add melted coconut oil and mix well, coating the mixture. Add water, stirring it in with a large spoon making sure that all ingredients are wet. The mixture will be really wet, but have no fear, the chia and psyllium will absorb this water and it will become thicker and dense.
- Cover with a tea towel and let sit for an hour. Waiting is the hardest part...
- After an hour, preheat the oven to 325. Line a bread pan with parchment paper. Scoop mixture into bread pan and press down with the back of a large spoon. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Here's the tricky (but not so tricky) part. After 30 minutes, the bread needs to be flipped out of the bread pan and on to a baking sheet. It will be baked for the remaining time on it's other side. Bake for another 45 minutes.
- This bread smells so fragrant and you'll want to bite right into it once it's finished. However, try and refrain from cutting into it until it's completely cooled down.