I chose a funny name for this recipe but there really is a good reason. This banana is old fashioned as it's simple and fluffy with no bells and whistles. This banana bread is also new age as it's gluten free, vegan and no sugar added. This treat has everything to offer and more. The greatest thing about this bread is that you can make it your own by adding whatever frills you desire. Maybe chopped nuts or seeds. Perhaps dairy free chocolate chips. Or maybe even spinach (seriously, you could do that!). So consider this bread a delicious blank slate.
Make 1 loaf.
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend (I used Cuisine Soleil Organic All Purpose Mix)
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups bananas (about 3 large bananas), pureed
- 5 medjool dates, pitted and pureed
- 2 tbsp ground chia seeds
- 6 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees and line a loaf pan with parchment paper
- Mix ground chia and water in a bowl. Set aside.
- Add all dry ingredients in a bowl, mix until combine then set aside.
- In a blender, add bananas and blend until pureed. Add dates to blended bananas and blend together. Depending on the power of your blender, you may need to blend longer to get a liquid.
- Pour banana/date puree into bowl with chia mixture and mix together. Once well combine, add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Mix to form a batter. This batter will not be your typical "bread like" consistency. It will be wetter.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and smooth out top with spatula.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool before cutting. I think we waited 10 minutes, my daughter couldn't wait any longer... lets be realistic, either could I!