Buckwheat has a lot to offer the body nutritionally. It's high in calcium and a good source of protein. It's very filling which helps to sustain energy as it balances blood sugar levels. This makes it perfect for a quick breakfast or an afternoon snack when you need a pick-me-up. Don't let buckwheat fool you into thinking it has wheat or gluten as it's naturally wheat/gluten free. Another cool fact about buckwheat is that although it is used as a grain, it's actually a seed. I love that about this 'super seed,' as it's so versatile.
We do a lot of baking in our house as it's a great way to kill time on long winter days as well as rewarding. Baking with Story is fantastic since she can do pouring, measuring and mixing ingredients. Of course there's always licking the bowl too, which is her favourite part. Since we do so much baking, I've started cutting out any added sugar and just using the sweetness from the fruit. It works exceptionally well in these muffins. There's sweet, delicious and filling. What more could you ask for?!
Make 1.5-2 Dozen
- 2 tbsp ground chia seeds
- 6 tbsp water
- 6 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk (I used homemade hemp mylk)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups buckwheat flour (I used sprouted buckwheat groats and then blended into flour)
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup raspberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Preheat oven to 350 and oil two muffin tins.
- Place ground chia and water in a bowl and whisk together until it becomes gelatinous.
- Add in mashed banana, milk and oil and mix until combined.
- In another bowl, combine flour, cinnamon and salt. Add in wet ingredients and mix together.
- Add baking soda and vinegar on top of mixture and quickly mix to distribute throughout batter.
- Fold in berries.
- Fill each muffin tin about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20 minutes and a toothpick comes out clean.
These muffins keep for one week in an airtight container in the fridge. They also freeze really well! Reheat in the toaster or oven for best results.
Adapted from Detoxinista