This is seriously the best and easiest chicken I have ever made. It's one of those recipes that my family asks for at least once a week. AND I get cheers and hollers of joy when I tell them "it's roast chicken tonight." There are tons of recipes out there about making roast chicken and I made many of them. I've stuffed them and garnished them. I've used a variety of oils. Since we are a dairy free home, I don't use butter, but guess what? Who needs butter when you have coconut oil! That's right, my roast is bathed in coconut oil and it is amazing. This recipe is hands down the best I've tried.
- 1 organic whole chicken between 3-5 pounds
- Coconut oil, lots of it.
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- Veggies, whatever you have on hand. I used broccoli, cauliflower and carrots, however this is optional.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Take chicken out of package and clean out cavity, removing any innards.
- Place chicken breast up in a baking dish. Scoop out coconut oil and liberally cover breast, wing and drums. Don't be shy, leave a good layer :)
- Sprinkle salt and pepper.
- If adding veggies, place around chicken. Place chunks of coconut oil on veggies, a good 4-5 tablespoons. Distribute approximately 1/4 water over veggies. Add more salt.
- Place in oven. After 20-30 minutes, give the veggies a stir, making sure they are coated and moist.
- Continue cooking for 30 minutes to 1 hour, until juices run clear.
- Cool for 10 minutes allowing the juices to distribute giving your roast optimal flavour.
Don't forget to enjoy this delicious meal with people you love. They will thank you!