This yummy soup was made on a whim and it was one of the best I've ever made. That's the funny thing about cooking, you just never know when you're going to create a favourite! What I also love about this recipe is that it has few ingredients and it's quick to make, which is an important factor for most people. For me, this is essential. Getting nourishing food into my kids bellies is always my priority but it can be challenging especially when I need food like now! Its just another reason why I love this one... simple, easy and nutritious!
Using sausages as meat balls added so much flavour to the soup. It also reduced the amount of prep time. To make the meat balls, you simple squeeze the meat out of the casing about 1 tbsp at a time over top of a heated frying pan. These 'balls' might not be perfectly round, but it takes so much work out of the process. I mean, they're already seasoned and ready to go. And by changing the flavour of sausages you buy and use, you will simply change the taste of the soup. Easy peasy delicious meals!
- 4 large uncooked sausages, nitrate-free and organic if possible
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 4 cups bone broth, find a how-to here
- 2 large garlic cloves, pressed
- Sea salt to taste
- In a frying pan over medium heat, gently squeeze the sausage meat out of the casing about 1 tbsp at a time. When the meat falls out it will resemble a meat balls.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat coconut oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Then add cabbage and carrots. Continue cooking for about 10 minutes.
- Add cooked meat balls, bone broth and garlic. Cover and reduce heat to simmer and cook for 30 minutes to 1 hour. The longer it cooks, the deeper the flavour.